Monday, October 15, 2007

Mundhu relinquish cheif spokesman job

Mohamed Hussain Shareef, Mundhu has relinquished the post of Chief Government Spokesman. Mundhu who has discharged the crucial duty since former spokesman Dr. Ahmed Shaheed's appointment as Foreign Minister in July 2005, has told Velidhoo News he has left the job following the take over of the assignment by the Information Ministry. He said he does not want his job to clash with the same responsibility assigned to Information Minister Mohamed Nasheed.

Mundhu however confirmed he will continue working for the Government and said he would prefer to work for the President in the President's Office and he would rather leave government service if he cannot work in the President's Office. " I will not resign from the Government. I only moved away from my previous post of Chief Government Spokesman. I did not send a letter to this effect. I met the President and told him that my work will clash with the work of the Information Minister. So I requested the President to assign me another work" Mundhu said.

According to Mundhu Information Ministry would set up a special unit or department in that ministry to undertake the work. " I have no odds with Nasheed. There is no misunderstanding or problem between us. The work of the Strategic Communication Unit of the President's Office is now transferred to Information Ministry. So if I continue to do the same work in the President's Office there will be problems. But if I have to work in any other office, I would prefer to stay at home", Mundhu said.

He said he requested the President if the Government wants his services, to assign a job in the President's Office.

Mundhu said his decision has nothing to do with the comments made by the Information Minister's letter sent to the former Foreign Minister Dr. Shaheed. " My decision has nothing to do with that. Minister Nasheed has misunderstood the matter. I have explained the matter to the President in detail. I have never inteferred with Minister Nasheed's work.

Mundhu assured that he will remain with the President and do whatever he can as long as the President remains in political arena. He said he will work for the President's DRP even if he does not work in the Government. " I will work for Maumoon as long as he wants my service." Mundhu said with a smile.

Mundhu said he does not have any contacts with former Attorney General Dr. Hassan Saeed and former Justice Minister Jameel. He further said his respect to them has been diminished because of the way they have spoken in the news conference. But Mundhu agreed he has a role in the New Maldives and he has contacts with Dr. Shaheed who is a family relative.

Dr. Hassan Saeed and Jameel have severely criticised Prtesident Gayoom after resigning from their posts , but Dr. Shaheed has said he was resigning because of corrupt politicians but would remain working for the President and government. However Dr. Shaheed has not been seeen in government circle and DRP activities after his resignation and he has resigned from President's member in the Special Majlis two days ago.


No comments: